There is a common assumption that the tenant’s contents are covered under the landlord’s insurance policy, this is not the case.

The landlord will only insure the building and his contents such as furniture and fittings. The landlord has no responsibility or liability for the tenant’s belongings. If you have valuables such as jewellery, laptops or other items it may be worth taking out your own contents only insurance policy to cover these items. An insurance broker will be able to provide you with the options available.